If you need assistance with getting transportation to receive medical treatment, we can help. We provide assistance in the air with commercial airline tickets and volunteer pilots, and on the ground with gas cards, bus and train tickets. Click on the tabs below to learn more.
- -A minimum of 21 days’ notice before your travel date to consider flight assistance.
- -A completed medical clearance form from the doctor who has recently physically seen the patient and knows they are going to this appointment. Our medical clearance form will be faxed to the doctor after we receive your application.
- -Income verification for the total household for everyone living in the home in the form of current income tax 1040 form, disability and or SSI awards letters that state household income. Be sure to black out all social security numbers on your documents.
Mercy Medical Angels may sponsor a round-trip for a patient and one non-medical attendant (if the doctor finds it medically necessary) on a commercial flight, coach seating.
The patient must:
- -Be able to sit on their own once they are in the seat
- -Require little or no medical attention.
- -Be able to transfer out of their wheelchair into their seat on the aircraft with little or no assistance (they cannot have someone literally pick them up and sit them in the seat).
If the patient requires oxygen, some airlines may provide it during the flight. Otherwise, the patient must have a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) approved by the FAA or the airlines. Commercial airlines require no less than 48 hours advance notice to prepare for the equipment needed. The patient is responsible for making these arrangements and paying any travel fees associated with the oxygen.
Commercial Airline Tickets
Mercy Medical Angels® administers charitable or deep-discount airline ticket programs for patients and patient escorts through various major airlines. Ambulatory patient travel that exceeds 750 miles requires the use of airline resources. Under special circumstances, patients can use these programs for shorter distances. MMA transportation coordinators have extensive experience with diverse and often changing airline ticket programs for patients.Commercial Airline Assistance
Mercy Medical Angels’ ground transportation program ensures low-income patients can travel to treatment. Patients are provided with gas cards, or commercial bus or Amtrak tickets. Patients (with or without escort) must be ambulatory and require no medical monitoring or care during travel. These trips are for non-local medical care more than 50 miles away. The typical trip does not exceed 300 miles.Request Ground Transportation
General Aviation Transportation
Mercy Medical Angels’ volunteer pilots generously donate their time and planes to transport patients to life-saving medical care. Patients (with or without escort) must be ambulatory and require no medical monitoring or care during the flight.Fill out the Form Here